Grocery shopping has never been one of my favorite things to do…until a Trader Joe’s opened near our home. In fact, shopping for fresh produce at Trader Joe’s was one of the biggest things I missed being able to do while on bed rest when I was pregnant! Here are my top 5 reasons I love this store:
5. The workers. I’m always amazed at how Trader Joe’s hires the coolest people. They’re the kind of folks who, when they ask how my day is going, are genuinely interested in knowing how my day is going! They are always so pleasant and helpful. I really think it’s their goal to make everyone’s day better.
4. The selection of organic produce at great prices. Where else can you buy a bag of organic spinach for $1.99?!
3. Samples! It’s a little thing, but I love sampling a new concoction of theirs while getting my shopping done.
2. Unique foods. I could easily spend an hour in there browsing all their unique packaged foods and goodies…but then I’d leave with way more than I wanted!
1. Most importantly, to me right now – personal shoppers!! I have to brag on Trader Joe’s a bit. You see, getting groceries with twin babies is often a necessity…but it’s sure not easy. The first time I took them to pick up some food, I wore Madeline in a sling and put Abe in the cart, in his carseat. Great plan…except their carts are TINY. Imagine Abe with food stacked on top of him – and I was only able to get a couple of the many items on my list! haha. The next time I went, I used my double stroller and carried a basket with my hands as I pushed the stroller. Feasible, yes. Piece of cake? no. This snap n go stroller is very hard to maneuver, especially while holding a basket. Plus I was limited to items that fit in the basket and aren’t too heavy. That day in Trader Joe’s, I had THREE employees approach me and offer to be a personal shopper for me whenever I needed the help. Say what?! You’ll actually help me get my groceries?! Amazing. I’ve taken them up on this offer a few times; a worker pushes my cart while I push the stroller and they help me check everything off my list, and to top it off, they carry my bags out to my car. Seriously, one of the greatest perks about this store! I can’t imagine any other grocery store that would be so hospitable!
Although most of the groceries I get each week are fresh fruits and veggies, here five of my favorite packaged items:1. Freeze dried banana slices. Perfect for when I crave something sweet to munch on, without the added sugar.
2. Roasted coconut chips. These are SO so so good! I love sprinkling them on my yogurt.
3. Soft baked snicker doodles. These are free of the 8 most common allergens like gluten, dairy and peanuts. They’re sweetened with natural sugars, and for being gluten-free, they are decadently soft!
4. Cranberry maple nut granola. Yum! I love it plain or as cereal with a little almond milk, or in yogurt.
5. Asian vegetable stir-fry. We always try to have something on hand as a quick, easy meal for those nights when we are too exhausted to spend much time in the kitchen. This is one of our go-to’s. We just heat up some coconut oil in a pan, and add these veggies (it’s a mix of bell peppers, broccoli, onions and mushrooms) plus chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s (another fave!), and we have a quick, yet very healthy meal!
Are you a Trader Joe’s fan? If so, what are your favorites of theirs?